This page is describing the configuration options of the UPM-X Relationship Editor.
Looking for how to use the UPM-X Relationship Editor? Check out this KB article!
UPM-X Admin rights are required to perform these changes.
- Enable & Configure the Relationship Editor Features
- Allowing / Blocking duplicate relationships
- Allowing / Blocking the creation of specific relationships by ServiceNow groups
- Adding new relationship rules & groups
- Configure editing fields on relationships
- To edit the UPM-X Relationship Editor settings, open the Relationship Editor by clicking on "Create Relationships" on any element (configuration item).
- Click the ⚙️ "Settings" icon on the top right to open the settings page:
- The settings page is kept pretty simple but the settings are pretty powerful.
Allowing / Blocking duplicate relationships
To Allow or Block duplicate relationships, just turn on/off the setting on the top left:
Blocking the creation of duplicate relationships will prevent the user to create a relationship of the same type and content between the same objects.
Allowing / Blocking the creation of specific relationships by ServiceNow groups
Switching this option will allow or block the listed relationship settings for the selected groups.
In the case of allowed (whitelisting) relationships settings, the allowed groups are permitted to create the suggested relationships between the base & dependent classes. Users outside of this group membership will not be able to create these types of relationships.
In the case of blocked (blacklisting) relationships settings, the blocked groups are not permitted to create the suggested relationships between the base & dependent classes. Users outside of this group membership are allowed to create these types of relationships.
Adding new relationship rules & groups
Click the "+ New" label at the bottom left to add a new row.
Select the "Base table", "Relationship Type", and "Dependent table" first. Based on your selections, the other selections will be prefilled with allowed content.
Finally select the "Group" for the white/blacklisting to add is to the list.
💾 Did you save your changes?
Do not forget to confirm your changes by clicking the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the form.
You can add additional groups to the same entry by clicking the pencil icon. Then click into the blocked group cell to select other entries. Confirm your selection with the
Configure editing fields on relationships
The Relationship Editor is enabled for all extended UPM-X tables under Portfolio Element (x_inpgh_upmx_portfolio_elements), and some out-of-the-box ServiceNow tables e.g. Business Applications, Business Capabilities, Information Objects.
To add the UPM-X Relationship Editor to other tables where this feature is not yet activated, navigate to the form view of the table and follow the steps below:
- Select "Configure > Form Layout" on the target table.
- Search for "UPM·X Create Relationship" and add it into the preferred view / section
- Once added you will see the UI formatter as part of your form.
Hide ServiceNow Relationship Editor and BSM map
In case you prefer to create, remap and delete relationships with the UPM-X Relationship Editor, we would recommend to deactivate the ServiceNow relationship editor and the BSM map optionally.
We have created a Client Script called "Hide SN relationship editor and BSM" you can clone and use on any table to disable the ServiceNow standard features.
The UPM-X Relationship Editor is only for CI Relationships!
The Relationship Editor only works on tables extended from the "cmdb_ci" base class, and will use the defined suggested relationships and cmdb_rel_ci table.